Today, FlexCareers celebrates another amazing partnership. We are thrilled to announce Origin Energy, Australia’s leading energy retailer, is joining our network of flexible employers.
As a major employer across Australia and New Zealand, Origin Energy will be offering our community the opportunity to apply for a wide range of roles across different locations. From traditional office roles to roles on gas fields, onshore power plants, and offshore platforms, the opportunities are far-reaching and exciting.
Why partner with FlexCareers? Origin Energy prides themselves on offering flexible working solutions, underpinning their commitment to creating a work-family life balance for all. Origin understands every employee’s needs are varied and different, a position their Chairman firmly believes in.
THE IMPORTANCE OF FLEXIBILITY
As Origin sees it, catering for those needs, maximises employee productivity and opportunities, giving the company a competitive edge and employees equal opportunities to further themselves professionally and personally. Their focus is on 3 main areas:
- promoting a positive safety culture,
- promoting personal development and
- promoting diversity and equal access to opportunities.
All of which are measured and accountable to the leadership. How great is that?! We know the importance of a business to account for its activities, accept responsibility for them, and to disclose the results in a transparent manner. Failure to do so can leave employees vulnerable and dissatisfied.
In 2014, the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA), awarded Origin Energy with Employer of Choice for Gender Equality, one of only 76 companies to be in that category. In partnering with Flexcareers, Origin is continuing the ‘Flex For All Roles’ initiative (the first oil and gas company in the world to do so) by reaching a broader talent pool and conversing with potential employees who are looking for flexible working solutions and equal opportunities in this field.
So, what does flexibility look like at Origin Energy? Jan Roden, Origin’s Head of Diversity, explains ‘family creates new sets of challenges for working parents who juggle and manage their career, life, family and other priorities’ and therefore all programs in place at Origin are designed to facilitate flexibility. But it’s not just families who need more flexibility – it’s those who live with disability, illness or carer responsibilities ad those whose have interests outside of work – be it a hobby, pursuit of further education or time to themselves. Origin is making it their business to leave no man behind.
Origin’s broad areas with accessible programs for employees are:
- Flexible work programs – including parental leave; career breaks of 3-12 months; ability to purchase extra leave; off-site work, part-time work and job sharing opportunities.
- Wellbeing programs – Care and Assurance Plan; Employee Assistance Program; Eldercare; Working Parents Program.
- Financial benefits – Excellent remuneration and incentive payments; employee share plan; employee referral program and salary sacrifice options.
- Personal development – mentoring and coaching, structured development and career progression, a wide range of courses, operator competency and capability programs, and Educational Assistance Programs.
With women’s working opportunities on the rise at Origin, (40% of employees were female and 27% in senior roles as at 2014), the company still makes room for male employees who can be seeking a work-life balance. Read here about Origin employee, David Provan’s testimony when he was presented with the opportunity to work flexibly.
Not only is Origin leading their industry when it comes to providing equal access and opportunities to all employees, they are equally committed to more thoughtful and meaningful work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. As part of their Reconciliation Action Plan, in 2014, they partnered with a non-profit organisation CareerTrackers to provide internship opportunities for Indigenous university students looking to gain valuable work experience with an ASX-listed company. This includes a commitment to providing at least 10 internships per year for the next 10 years through the CareerTrackers 10×10 program, with the aim of transitioning students into full-time employees upon completion of their degree.
Through Origin’s Reconciliation plan, four interconnected paths are being built, creating more diversity and equality:
- A culture of Respect – developing an understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ cultures and contributions.
- Education, Skills, Jobs and Careers, Commerce – investing in education, skills training, qualifications to transition into careers
- Community development – ensuring supply chains have a high representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses
- Relationships – foster long-term relationships based on trust, respect and open dialogue and delivery of promises.
Origin Energy’s commitment to creating a flexible, diverse, equitable and fair workplace, extends to communities as well. The partnerships they have with communities promotes education, energy insight, and support. An example is their fourth year running competition, Little Big Idea, inspiring young kids to come up with ideas to make the world a better place.
We are looking forward to partnering with Origin to bring our community some amazing job opportunities with a truly flexible, supportive employer. To find out more about Origin and to browse flexible roles available through FlexCareers click here.