Your toolkit to make confidence a way of life Congratulations and thank you for joining us for this blog series! We hope you’re making fabulous...
Are you living the dream?
A dream life is different for everyone. FlexCoaches Debra Close and Kate Wilkie will guide you to discovering what “living the dream” means for you.
Are you “living the dream”?
Have you ever imagined how your life would be if everything was perfect? …Where you have a job you love, a fulfilled life and are looking forward to your bright future? What would you be doing? Where would you choose to put your energies? How would you live and where? Who would be in your life?
Big questions, we know! However, how can we “live the dream” unless we know what our dream looks like? ….You need to know what success and happiness at work and in your life means to you.
Now, we can’t predict the future, or anticipate random opportunities that come our way, or avoid life’s red herrings that send us on other tangents. And our dreams can and do change.
But having a vision of our “best possible life” gives us a reason to strive, and a direction in which to travel. Our vision can be clear. Or clear-ish. Or it can be fuzzy for now, becoming clearer over time. The main point is to be able to start aiming somewhere.
Having a vision of your “best possible life” will give you a reason to strive and a direction in which to travel.
And not coincidentally, when we have a vision for our dream life, we’re “primed” to notice opportunities, and then take action, that will help lead us in the direction of our dreams. Our path becomes more smooth. We attract what we wish for. Things start to manifest for us.
So, how can you plot out what “living the dream” means for you? Here are 3 exercises you can try, to build a picture of your “best possible” life at home and work.
1. Skite sheet – Understanding what you love about your current work and life gives you clues for what you may wish to continue or do more of in future.
- Note down the developments in your life that have given you the most joy (e.g. your kids? doing half marathons? your promotion?….)
- Write about your passions. What makes your heart sing? (e.g. causes such as climate change? hobbies like rock climbing? innovating a new product? .…)
- Think about what you could not do without in your life (e.g. your 20 minute commute? working in a team? your yoga class? .…)
- Catalog the successes and achievements you’ve had at work to date. What work are you most proud of? What types of tasks or projects gave you a real buzz? What are you doing on your very best days at work?
2. Irritations inventory – Understanding what is currently frustrating you gives you an opportunity to avoid or circumvent these in your vision for your future. Knowing what you don’t want also helps you figure out what you do want.
- Catalog a list of irritations in your life and work right now. What do you not like about your work? What parts of your day make you frazzled? When do you feel out of control? What gives you a feeling of dread when you wake up each day?
3. Letter from the future – This is the ultimate tool for creating future positive possibilities.
- Write down a free-flow letter to yourself, from yourself, at some future date – 1 year, 5 years, 10 or 20 years from now. Describe what you’ve done and have achieved as a result of your life turning out exactly how you wanted. What are you thinking, feeling and doing? Describe the things that brought meaning and joy in your life or at work. Don’t limit yourself to what’s likely or realistic – in this exercise, let your imagination run wild!
Once you’ve done these three exercises you start to make explicit (clear) what might have been implicit (less obvious or even unconscious) up to now. Getting clearer about the hopes and dreams you carry around inside you is a starting point to making plans for the future. From here, you can start to set some more concrete goals for yourself, with the confidence that you’re moving in the direction of your dreams.
FlexCareers are leading experts in diversity, flexibility and future of work solutions across the entire employee lifecycle. Our careers platform features Australia and New Zealand's largest marketplace of flexible job opportunities, and connects talented individuals with progressive employers offering flexible work. Our employer services include strategy consulting, coaching, branding and training services as well as our proprietary Return to Work Program. Job seekers can also access career support from our expert coaches.