FlexCareers is passionate about supporting our employer partners and our community to be the best that they can be. We offer a range of training and coaching services in areas such as career transition and outplacement, parental leave, return to work, managing flexibly, interview skills, leadership and management, positive psychology, and diversity & inclusion – to name a few.
In this series, we introduce you to our panel of FlexCoaches, each who offer a complimentary 30 minute chemistry session to our community.
- Karen, can you tell us a bit about your career history and what was your motivation to become a coach?
My working life began in Chartered Accounting and I will never regret this choice. Accounting and auditing provided a solid professional and business foundation and tools for life, but left me searching for something more. While I enjoyed getting to know my clients, the first question myself and my team would invariably be asked at the start of an audit was when our last day would be. So, after spending some time in Asset Management and Investment Banking, I decided it was time to try something more people orientated.
I decided that recruitment might provide this people focus and secured a role leaning on my Accounting and Finance background. Recruitment confirmed that helping people gave me a buzz. What satisfied me most was helping my candidates with their career decisions and seeing them working in the right role for their long-term career. This meant I spent more time with candidates (determining their goals and values) and was less focused on placements and fees. Recruitment ultimately helped confirm that Career Management was more in line with my values and was the stepping stone to where I am today.
- What are your particular areas of coaching expertise?
- Career Transitional Coaching
- Directional coaching: discovering your career goals and path
- Resume Development: including the latest developments
- Cover Letter Development: to stand out as a candidate
- LinkedIn profile writing
- Interview technique practise: simulated practice
- Facilitating and coaching networking: to improve your networking and gain the most possible from the experience
- Referee Preparation: preparation results in no surprises
- Offer negotiation: to retain the offer and achieve the best results
- Business Coaching
- Executive Coaching: Focused on Middle Management
- What do you love most about coaching?
What I enjoy most is helping people discover their goals and providing the tools to facilitate realisation. I love helping people and seeing the work we do together change their lives, gives me immense satisfaction.
- How do you define success?
Living a life where you can align your life and career goals and achieving what you believe is success.
- What is your vision for women in the workplace?
We have attained so much in the last few decades, but we struggle to define what our true roles are. Things get blurred as we try to be the best wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, friends and employees we can be. I imagine that women will support one another and will receive the recognition they deserve through performance and achievement while living flexible lives according to their own goals and values.
more by Karen here.
About Karen Lewitton
FlexCoach Karen Lewitton has over 17 years experience in recruitment, career management and middle management coaching. She has coached over 600 students in a professional environment, including more than 400 AGSM MBA students with between 7 and 20 years’ experience from over 30 countries.
If you are seeking a career transition, a new opportunity or require assistance in resolving tough management issues, please feel free to reach out to Karen here.